Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Week 6, Thing 13: Tagging and Discover Del.icio.us

OK... I listened to a tutorial, which resulted in me being more confused about Del.icio.us than I was before. Then I thought maybe I should read one of the other 'guides.' If I hadn't been hopelessly confused before, I sure was after reading the guides. So then I thought maybe I should just create an account and see if I could figure it out on my own. Step one of creating and account was quite easy - the standard creating account questions, etc. Step two I realized I was in trouble as you needed to install buttons on the computer. Yeah... can't do that. Step three... install more buttons on the computer... Yeah... So needless to say I did step one and then didn't know what else to do as I can't put buttons on our work computers.

From what I was able to gather, Del.icio.us would be a way to take your "Favorites" that some people save on their browser and make then accessible to you when you are not at your particular computer (say at a library in California). Then somehow (tho I have yet to figure out this feature) through descriptive tags you can then see what other websites other people thought were good on the same subject. This could be handy if you were doing research and then could find things quickly as other people would have already identified then as good resources for you.

To answer the question posed in our Discovery Exercise in #3: "Can you see the comments they added about this bookmark or the tags that they used to categorize this reference." My answer... no. I have no idea what they were talking about. I didn't see comments. I didn't notice any tags. And maybe I just don't realize that I did see them as I don't know what they look like. I did see the web pages that were saved. They were basic links. But nope... I didn't notice the comments or tags.

The bottom line is that I'm sure there are some good uses for this resource. I can't see me ever really using it. I don't do research. Heck... check my computer at home... I don't even have favorites bookmarked there! I just memorize the URLs and type the address into the address field. It's much faster for me to type than it is for me to click the buttons to find saved "Favorites."

But at least if someone asked me about it, I will at least have a vague idea as to what they are asking. But don't ask me to help figure it out. After spending about a week of my time, I've given up trying to actually understand Del.icio.us. But at least I can say that I tried... and that I have 13 down, 10 to go!

No comments: