Friday, July 27, 2007

Week 4, Thing 8: Make Life Really Simple with RSS and a News Reader

Thoughts on RSS...

You know, if I really wanted to be that informed about everything known to man that interests me, I would love RSS. However, I can't imagine wanting to look at the things I've subscribed to on a daily basis. I do love the fact that I can actually subscribe to the Fargo Forum. But really, I think at this time I'd still be more apt to just log into their website and read it that way as opposed to logging into bloglines and being distracted with all the other feeds that might catch my eye. As if there aren't enough chickens on the internet!

To be honest, I was a little frustrated with the subscription process. I got a lot of error messages that indicated there was a problem with the site and that I would have to try again later. And then when I tried again later, it said that I was already subscribed to the selections that I previously was not due to the problem with the site. This problem was not limited to myself. As I was helping a co-worker, she got the same error message. I guess I'm not special when it comes to technology hiccuping!

I think that if I continue with my bloglines account, I'll be adjusting my feeds. 10 sites (or 13 in my case as I was having a linear learning issue) is too many for me. And some of the sites which I thought might interest me I have since found to not be as interesting as their description led me to believe.

Ah well. I've learned a lot with this exercise. And at least I can say that I have #8 down and only 15 to go!

2 comments:

JimD said...

Lots of people have mentioned that they've had a little trouble plowing through this activity. I'm glad we're doing it, though. I think RSS is going to be a big thing for us in the fairly near future and I'm glad we're all developing a little familiarity with it.

Rose Frase said...

I'm with you on your feelings about all those blog posts out there and the usefulness of RSS feeds on a personal level. Not to mention the problem of all those chickens sidetracking you from real work!